February 15, 2011

lucky

13 of 30

british library, london
scarf - vintage, thrifted / necklace (below) - vintage, thrifted / perfect army jacket - Zara / cashmere cardigan - Cynthia Rowley via Target / buffalo Larch bag - valhallabrooklyn via etsy / overdyed skinnies - Zara / shoes - Toms

When we took these pictures outside the British Library the other day, I'll admit, I wasn't expecting much. It was nasty and windy, I was hungry, my hair was dirty, and I wasn't exactly making sartorial history with an outfit that's basically a mash-up of this one and this one. And yet, looking back on these I'm surprised how much I like them. This is kind of my uniform for days when I desperately need to be comfy, but I think it's definitely a few steps up from sweatpants and Uggs. I even managed to tie my sweater up nice and fancy without realizing it. The necklace was one of my two sweet finds at a local charity shop - I'll be showing off my other thrifted gem tomorrow.

british library, london
british library, london
Sorry I'm a little thin on the words tonight. I think I'm too full of calamari and porter to be able to string together sentences properly. Yeah, it sounds gross, but I promise, it's totally not.
//

17 comments:

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

it's gorgeous and has so many pretty details (which are so important in person and sometimes you can't tell as well in photos except if you have really good eyes like me of course) like the amazing necklace and scarf.
that aside, i am SO jealous you're at the british library!!! it's pretty much my second favorite place on EARTH.

Archives said...

ha! i love how you accidentally tied that awesome knot. it looks complicated, in a - "wow thats awesome and i could never pull it off" kind of way!

dotty said...

your red necklace is so good with your army jacket!

p.s. i heart libraries. i also heart london. so yeah, the british library is one of my favorites. have a great time!

Anne said...

Oooh, I I love this combination. And oooh, do I love the British Library too. Jealous!

wily wiley said...

the colorful vintage scarf and military jacket combination is absolutely perfect. i think these shots are beautiful and i love that you're rocking the toms. the absolute perfect travel shoe.

Anja said...

love the shoes, cardigan and scarf!! Sometimes the most random outfits are the best!!

jentine said...

Lucky should hire you for your layering skillzzzzzz... nicely done!

Mj said...

The sweater tie IS lovely and you look fabulous, despite not feeling it. You make bundled-up look chic.

emily said...

Oooh, now you've totally piqued my curiosity - what's your first favorite place on Earth?

I knew I definitely wanted to take Chris to the BL during our stay in London - they have such great exhibits, an incredible collection, and of course I love ogling the glass-encased King's Library. They've got a great display of illustrations from different editions of Alice in Wonderland right now that's pretty incredible - the Ralph Steadman version of the Mad Hatter's tea party is pretty much perfect in every way.

emily said...

That's totally my sartorial MO - any time something I wear looks 'effortless,' it means it was completely accidental. :)

emily said...

Thanks Dotty!

emily said...

Oh, I should BE so lucky!* At this point I'm pretty convinced that layering is more than a strategy for keeping warm - it's a lifestyle.

*Pun totally intended, because I'm awful.

emily said...

Haha, thank you Anne!

emily said...

The Toms have definitely proven themselves to be essential - sometimes I even squish them down into the bottom of my purse when I'm wearing other shoes, just in case my feet start hurting!

emily said...

Thanks Anja! That's totally true, I'm often just as happy with my unplanned outfits as with the ones I really thought through.

emily said...

Thanks Mj! I'm hoping I can keep it up without getting too sick of my winter-wear - I think it's going to be a while still before I see any real spring temperatures.

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

Emily,

I think my first favorite place on earth is the Sierra Nevada mountain range
in California. I spent every summer there as a kid so it has a special place
in my heart. I love love love the British Library though...I'm scheming
about how to get fellowship money to spend some time in there doing
research. I saw the Alice in Wonderland exhibit last spring when I was there
visiting my sister--isn't it amazing?

Where are you guys going next? What's on the itinerary?

xoxo

Tania

Post a Comment